Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The work has begun...

So we started our project for reals yesterday. We are documenting the courthouse here in town using hand drawings from a previous year and cad plans. Now you would think that those would be really helpful, but we have had to do a lot of alterations, and it will probably take a lot longer to do than we originally thought. We are supposed to do more than this building this summer, but this one should take a couple of weeks or so ish.

last night we went to glistening waters where the martha brae river meets the caribbean and there is a lot of phosphorus that when agitated caused the water to literally be bioluminescent. I don't have any pictures b/c Peter's boat tends to get wet on the inside during the trips, but it was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. When you swim in it, you leave a trail of light and it's pretty dang awesome. We hit a few spots and the spot with the most phosphorus was full of jellyfish, but Peter saw them right before we jumped in. They were really neat to see too; some were really big, others were smaller, but you could see them floating and their tentacles.

Big news of the day - I slept til 7 this morning and not 5:30. One of my medicines may have helped me with that as it does make you sleepy, but let's hope this trend continues.

Today, Gareth and I are hoping to cut out of work an hour early (I mean we did work during our lunch hour) and go to Tony's - i.e. the beach. I could use an afternoon nap on the beach. Our "office" is an outdoor table in the courtyard of the manse that has sez breezes all day. It's pretty sweet. I am not sure where our rainy day office is yet as we haven't gotten rain while working, but it will probably be inside the manse. Photos will come later. I still haven't taken any pictures yet; just haven't thought about it.

Today was also market day. They call it the bend down market b/c tarps serve as the roofs, but you have to bend down some to get under them. They have literally everything you could ever think of there. One of the girls got some Julie Mangos, and it was delicious. You can also buy underwear (they have Calven Klain - honestly how it was spelled), shoes, and anything else you can imagine. It was definitely cool to see and I will probably be frequenting it for the mangos. There is also a really good fruit stand close to the manse with a really nice guy who could get us the hookup. Walking through the market got me used to being called whitey or hissed at to get my attention to buy stuff. It is actually pretty amusing when the little kids call you whitey - and it's not really an insult, it's just an obvious statement.

On the schedule for the weekend is the lime burning at Good Hope and spelunking in a cave full of bats....

j

--You're not going to see people like this again for a long time, he said & I said I always saw people like this & he looked at me for a moment & said, You're not from around here, are you? --

1 comment:

  1. this weekend sounds so exciting, keep blogging as we want to hear all about your adventures....mmmmm mangoes, I love mangos

    ReplyDelete